Friday, March 20, 2009

Oops! Bumps in the Road

OK - so who knew that vigilance is ever required to protect one's belly-button from enemy invaders? Maybe that's why little kids suck their thumbs with one hand and patrol their navels with the other.

Apparently some nasty bacteria were rollicking on my stomach, ventured too close to the 'black hole', fell into the abyss, couldn't climb out, so decided to dig their way out via China. The result was a trip to the emergency room and a five-day stay at the same hospital that was trying to kill me last summer (at least that's how I remember it). Actually, there was an upside to the experience: I got to meet a lot of the people who worked on me in August. Most of them seemed genuinely pleased to see me, although I think all of them were shocked and amazed that I am still alive. It was very interesting.

Even though I am trying hard to be a kinder, gentler me, I still have this little dark place deep down that is hoping that the doctors who spent two weeks trying to convince Roz to withdraw life support rather than working to heal me, are choking on it right now. (Sorry, had to get it out of my system!)

I have some sort of rogue type A strep that showed up as cellulitis over a big portion of my stomach - Does that mean it's a double-big bug? Who knows? It had started to overwhelm my system, but I'm feeling pretty much back to normal (not sure if that's good or bad) now. I have to shoot myself full of antibiotics every six hours for the next two weeks or so using the latest dual-ported pic line, complete with dangly pigtail extensions so I can perform the procedure by myself. Not too sexy, but it beats the other option, which was to go to a skilled nursing facility and hang out there for a couple of weeks - I don't think so...

Anyway, back to work! The weather is getting better. The warmth and sunshine are calling. Kadrey & Jaxson will be playing soccer & T-ball soon, and I plan to be there to watch. The family reunion is set for mid-July and I don't plan to be laying here in bed for it. Onward and upward!

1 comment:

  1. Hey...you are the main attraction of that reunion. We are excited. And...we need to plan that reunion! What do your kids think we should do. I say everyone has a quick family meeting to decide their top 5 ideas for the reunion so our "committee" has a starting place. What do you think? Love you, Jenny

    ReplyDelete